Sunday, November 11, 2007

Beggars Can't be Choosers Part 4: This Sort of Put Things in Perspective, Doesn't It?

I might not seem like it, but I'm a mathematician by virtue of academic training. I conquered complex numbers and I braved probability, statistics, and trigonometric equations. I challenged the complex sorceries of geometry with the pi as my excalibur, I rallied numbers in their natural, real, and rational metamorphoses, and I crusaded to determine the time at which trains A and B will meet as they travelled X number of miles from each other.

I recited the Pythagorean theorem like a mantra.


I know my mathematics. And I know my equations. But how in the world does anyone make this out?



Here in the Philippines, a girl no more than 11 years past her childhood conceded to suspending herself in mid air with nothing but a tight-enough cord around her neck to support her weight. This, in turn, blocks all possible circulation of oxygen to her brain as it chokes her well enough to kill her. That, of course, was the original plan all along, and, given her eleven defeated years, alarmed us of a message which was beyond worrisome.

She killed herself out of poverty.

Yes, the clarity of the message is striking, but its not something that I'm ready to accept. She's no more than 12. And she killed herself because she was poor. There's no rhyme or reason to it, but that's just me talking, and I know that I'm just not prepared to take things as they are.

I pray for you, Mariannet Amper. Your message was obvious, and you stressed that enough.

"Thanks" would've been appropriate, but painfully tactless and altogether cold blooded. But seriously, may you be given the peace and comfort that this life never afforded you.

1 comment:

  1. mariannet is brave a girl, a frowned upon valiancy but still a brave girl

    the spirit of anne frank

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin